The Prestead is a planned intentional community that seeks to grow on land for a few years before eventually moving onto a seastead.
The plan has existed in some form or another since 2019, and started becoming a reality in 2020.
Future plans include multiple types of housing in a desert community and a series of events for residents (“steaders”) and potential future residents (“prospects”).
As of Spring 2022, Camp Liberty consists of the following:
- Two acres (0.8 hectares) of land in White Hills, Arizona, located in a Joshua Tree forest in the Mojave Desert
- Dirt driveway and parking area
- 100 sqft covered storage
- Clean drinking water
- Outdoor food preparation table
- One electric cooktop
- One campfire/cooking fire station
- Two wooden benches
- A wooden side table
- Two outdoor workbenches for building and repairing things
- AC electric power provided by on-site custom solar installation
- Wireless internet (Verizon LTE with WiFi hotspot and wifi range extender)
- An extensive selection of hand tools and powertools for building things
- A sturdy 4WD SUV for driving around on dirt roads, off-roading, towing and hauling
- A 2nd-Generation Chevy Volt for eco-friendly commutes into Las Vegas
Short-term goals for Camp Liberty (Fall 2022 – Spring 2023)
- Upgrade electric system to a 5kW inverter powered by a 20kWh lithium-ion battery
- Fully install our 5kW solar power array (solar panels already purchased)
- Build or acquire a nice Airstream travel trailer to accommodate guests
- Build a two car garage to store belongings, materials, and tools
To learn more about today’s reality at Camp Liberty and see some photos, please check out our Milestones.